?

Log in

An Unexpected Test - Village in the Valley [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Village in the Valley

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

An Unexpected Test [Dec. 24th, 2004|04:23 pm]
Village in the Valley

vitv

[briana_malin]
Briana is weary as they slog on through the narrow mountain pass. She can feel the mid-afternoon sun burning her mildly pink skin further, that only serving to irritate the girl. Her feet hurt, her joints hurt, she's tired and more than hot, but still she pressed onward. As angry as she is, she knows that sitting around in the heat would only irritate her more -- might as well make some progress.

She's able to tell they've made some progress from yesterday, though, if only because of the changes in terrain. Instead of the more sandy soil they had first trudged through, they now had rocky soil with a few shrubs and plants clinging greedily to it. She does her best to avoid any of the larger brown rocks, even the ones that look smoother -- her feet are fairly tender from all the traveling. Not to mention that those rocks are pretty hot at this time of day.

Bri looks up through squinted eyelids toward the sunny sky. It looks to be a hot and clear day -- not even many trees in this particular area. That explains the lack of protection from the sun... too bad. They'd at least gotten a break in the morning hours from the area with trees. That progress she was certain they were making doesn't seem to certain just now. She takes one more look around... no, not one direction appears more promising than another. Auuugh.
linkReply

Comments:
From: natebahamut
2004-12-24 02:39 pm (UTC)
Nate is trudging right along with her, his spirits a bit higher, but his feet just as sore -- nice as Kercho and his wife were when they landed seemingly randomly on this particular world, they couldn't provide anything like shoes or boots for the journey.

Nate has at least taken heart in the fact that they're going more downhill than uphill at this point, and he chooses to believe that means they're getting closer to their destination, rather than preparing for another climb. If anything else, he thinks, they're not stuck in the desert anymore.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: briana_malin
2004-12-24 02:44 pm (UTC)
Bri sighs deeply, somewhat discouraged. She was hoping they'd have been closer than this by now -- not a sign of civilization yet at all. Just as she picks up the pace again, she stops suddenly. She heard a screeching noise from the southeast, just over those rocks there. It wasn't a normal bird sound, which is what caught her attention. Some kind of scraping across rock, maybe? She glances to Nate for his thoughts.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: natebahamut
2004-12-24 02:49 pm (UTC)
Nate noticed it, too, his hearing being as sharp as ever. He'd started to pick it up to find out what that sound was, even, when she suddenly stopped. He turns to look back at her.

"You heard it, too?" The first thought on his mind, quite honestly, is that they might score something tasty for supper; the hunting really dropped off after yesterday, and they're running low on their 'borrowed' supplies. Never mind that the ground doesn't look quite so stable on that path; if they're quick enough, it shouldn't matter much.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: briana_malin
2004-12-24 02:52 pm (UTC)
"Yeah." She heads in that direction, since he was going that way.

"Guess we might as well check it out." She's not certain at all what it was, but something in it gave her a chill. Perhaps it was just how sudden it was in the relative silence of their journey, she tells herself, as she picks her way quickly and carefully over that path.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: natebahamut
2004-12-24 02:56 pm (UTC)
Nate nods and heads on without a second thought, slightly ahead and to the left of her. He pulls out the little sling-type weapon Kercho lent him, nabbing up the nearest hefty rock to use as he heads toward whatever that was. He still isn't seeing anything...

A few steps later, though, that hardly matters, as Nate suddenly looks down instead of up. By reflex, he comes to a halt, but that only speeds the ground in cracking beneath them both, and soon they're sprawling and rolling down a slide of rock into the interior of the mountain they were just descending.

Beyond outcries of pain as he slams against the rocky slide, Nate can only think at the time that it's a good thing he didn't drop that sling... he may need it, if this world is anything like theirs...
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: briana_malin
2004-12-24 03:02 pm (UTC)
Bri lets out a startled yelp as the ground gives way beneath them, and as absurd as it is, has the sudden thought that she probably just scared off whatever creature it just was. Beyond the agonizing pain of rocks cutting her already burned flesh, she experiences nothing extraordinary before she blacks out temporarily, tumbling the rest of the way into the mountain.

Bri falls to the ground rather hard, though the rocks that fell with them muffle whatever sound her body makes against the interior surface. She landed prone, face turned to one side, with rock quickly covering one of her legs. The other is spared due to a small outcropping above her that is deflecting some of the rock.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: natebahamut
2004-12-24 03:04 pm (UTC)
Nate hears her land, none the less, and he imagines a sickening crunch as she does so, even if one doesn't sound. He's quick to try to stand and scramble to her, but the ground underneath him is just too unstable, and he keeps sliding for a bit, falling back to the ground and beating more rocks against his body as he tries again to stumble to his feet. This is *not* how he imagined a successful hunting foray, no...
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: briana_malin
2004-12-24 03:10 pm (UTC)
A low and throaty roar reverberates around the cavern -- whatever made that noise must be huge. In the twinkling of an eye, a part of the smoother reddish rock near Bri moves and rises above her, a long neck attached to a menacing draconic face swinging to take a look at the girl. A clawed hand easily brushes the rock aside above her and picks her up in order for the creature to get a closer look.

Bri nearly screams as she wakes up, due to the sudden pain in her leg at the movement. Her head feels too thick to move and the motion is disorienting, but she lifts her head anyway to take a look at the enormous creature that has her. Um.. *now* what's she supposed to do?
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: natebahamut
2004-12-24 03:14 pm (UTC)
Nate opens his mouth and points at the mass of red that rises from the rock, then quickly shuts it and moves into action, loading a rock into the staff-sling still in his hands and whipping it toward the creature's face, ignoring the flicker of recognition that jets across his mind. Let her down -- you!!
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: briana_malin
2004-12-24 03:17 pm (UTC)
The dragon is distracted enough to eye Nate instead, casually tossing Bri aside. The girl bounces off a wall and hits the ground again, this time falling completely still.

Dragon takes a step toward Nate, that shaking the entire cavern. Before the boy can move out of the way, a wave of rock shifts and covers him, it heating quickly to liquid form. The dragon steps on the rock and pushes the boy down with just enough pressure to force him through a portal just beneath him.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: natebahamut
2004-12-24 03:24 pm (UTC)
Nate's eyes widen as Bri gets tossed across the room, and he uses the time he takes to look over there to make sure her true-sight image is ... still ... there... something... isn't right.

Before that thought can really set in, though, he has the wind knocked out of him, as well as a bit of blood and maybe some bone, as that wall of rock throws him to the ground. He wants to scream as it all suddenly turns burning hot, but he can't make a sound, nor really move... until he falls through that portal onto something soft. He's tense and taut with pain, his mouth still worked into a half-scream as his body finally registers everything that just happened.

Bri... no...
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)